0
coping with clingyness
Posted by HuiHui
on
12:28 PM
in
the little guy
Most of the child expert like Dr. Spock points out that separation anxiety, of which clingyness is a part, is completely normal in 1- to 3-year-olds. In fact, it signifies healthy attachments and bonding with loved ones.
I think the little guy's clingyness has more to do with him being demanding than him being insecure. Outside the house, he usually has no problem of exploring the world all by himself, never give me a second thought. In fact, I'll be the one chasing after him. He's also pretty sporting and is a good sport. When he falls down, he doesn't cry for long. Most of the time he's happily sharing his toys/ball with some other kids at the play ground.
So far we observed that most of the time he'll be happily socializing with other kids. At the bookstore, he went to where the kids are to check up what were they doing. At the play corners, he went to "friend friend" with koko playing with the beads, instead of playing by himself. At the play ground, what he loves most is to mingle with kids, especially those playing balls or blowing bubbles. He will make a straight line to them without fail. He also has no problem approaching adult holding ball or the bubble solution with his pleading doe eyes trick. At the trail music class, he has no problem enjoying himself among all strangers. Outside the house, most of the time, he is this happy confident toddler curiously exploring the world.
Honestly, I don't know what I can do except to wait patiently for the little guy to outgrown his clingyness phase while carefully toeing the line between been manipulated or needed by him. Other than that, all that I need to do is to keep repeating to myself that "Watching Young Child Grow Can Be A Joyful Experience" as I try to walk through the house with 20 pounds of boy hugging my leg - so I read. :))
I think the little guy's clingyness has more to do with him being demanding than him being insecure. Outside the house, he usually has no problem of exploring the world all by himself, never give me a second thought. In fact, I'll be the one chasing after him. He's also pretty sporting and is a good sport. When he falls down, he doesn't cry for long. Most of the time he's happily sharing his toys/ball with some other kids at the play ground.
So far we observed that most of the time he'll be happily socializing with other kids. At the bookstore, he went to where the kids are to check up what were they doing. At the play corners, he went to "friend friend" with koko playing with the beads, instead of playing by himself. At the play ground, what he loves most is to mingle with kids, especially those playing balls or blowing bubbles. He will make a straight line to them without fail. He also has no problem approaching adult holding ball or the bubble solution with his pleading doe eyes trick. At the trail music class, he has no problem enjoying himself among all strangers. Outside the house, most of the time, he is this happy confident toddler curiously exploring the world.
Honestly, I don't know what I can do except to wait patiently for the little guy to outgrown his clingyness phase while carefully toeing the line between been manipulated or needed by him. Other than that, all that I need to do is to keep repeating to myself that "Watching Young Child Grow Can Be A Joyful Experience" as I try to walk through the house with 20 pounds of boy hugging my leg - so I read. :))