It’s all for nothing.
I'm such a lazy parent. I take comfort in reading this type of article.
I just read an article that says “All those extra bedtime stories read, violins purchased, chess clubs driven to, trips to the museum made, cosy fireside chats delivered; all the arguments over homework and bribes, all the blueberries served, all the guidance offered, all your values instilled, all your world-view shared, all the worry, heartache, effort, blood, sweat and tears of being a responsible parent. All the things you do that make your child special. It’s all for nothing.”
Whether your child will be a success or a failure in life boils down to his luck in the gene lottery. Research has found that adult twins who were separated at birth (how come so many twins get separated at birth?) are very similar on almost every count. It seems that by the time a child has grown up, the impact of parental encouragement and nagging will have disappeared.
The best thing you can do for your future children is find yourself a good mate. And remember, four left feet do not make a ballet dancer.